The Zakkendragershuisje is one of the most characteristic buildings of Schiedam. It used to be the Guildhall (Gildehuis) of the porters’ guild. The rectangular building, built in 1725, has a porter as a wind vane. It also has a bell tower. The bell was rung as a ship approached. This called the porters to the Guildhall.
The doors are regularly opened to the public. Check the event calendar on this site. A porter dressed in full regalia relays the history of a porter’s life. The bell is rung, and the race to work begins.
The active visitor can obtain eternal glory by successfully completing a historic quiz. In the form of living history, the Guild offers a dynamic glimpse into the lives of 18th-century port workers. The current Guild consists of eight volunteers.